Tuesday, March 10, 2009

This May Not be Kansas, but it's Still Scary!



The threat of tornados is still scary to me here in the midwest. We had these in Alabama as well, but the weather man there was AWESOME and you could turn on the news and know where the tornados would hit if they came down. Here in Indiana it's just pretty much "A storm is coming TAKE COVER!"

We also get straight line winds that make me nervous and wishing for a basement. A couple of nights ago the wind was just howling, and the next day I was picking up some toys scattered around the backyard and found some shingles. Uh, oh! Yep, a few had been ripped off the roof in the night. We were really blessed that some shingles had been leftover from a back porch area that the previous owners had added onto the house, and the fact that they left the leftovers was so amazing. We didn't have to go hunting for matching shingles, but Jesse was out on the roof until well after dark last night trying to get them attached. Of course the weatherman predicted rain today, so it HAD to be done yesterday...then it didn't rain at all.

Good news though, we have a fund raiser this year that I think will be a success. The YW are selling ward cookbooks for $5 each and we've had a ton of Relief Society sisters making multiple orders. There are 95 recipes in the books, they were all submitted by the RS sisters, most by email, so it wasn't terribly hard to put together and they only cost $1.62 per book to make. Meaning the majority of the funds raised will go to the girls. I'll post again if it's as big of a success as I'm hoping.

Jesse also got two raises this week, he got a merit raise AND a cost of living raise. I told him this meant we had no excuses for date night anymore :). We just can never seem to justify the cost of dinner and a movie, plus the cost of a babysitter...but once a month shouldn't hurt, especially since we only go to the dollar movies.

We've also discovered RedBox rentals. We had been limiting our movie watching to the dollar theater then just buying the movies we wanted at Christmas. For the cost of seeing a "real" movie, we figured we could just own it. Now that we have found Red Box, we can 'preview' the movie for cheap and decide if it's worth the $15. Of course movies that we KNOW we'll like we go ahead put it on our 'to buy' list (like Star Trek, Narnia, or the Bourne movies), but this just gives us one more option. The only bad thing is the RedBox we go to is in McDonalds and those fries are SO, SO TEMPTING!

5 comments:

Danielle said...

I can relate to the date night cost thing. Congratulations on the raises!

Kara said...

I saw a tornado one time from the back porch of my house and that's the closest that I want to be to one. Redbox is a great thing! I hope yours has a better selection than ours - it always seems to have the same movies and never changes. It's worth the $1.09 though!

And, I LOVE ward cookbooks. Our ward in Phoenix did one a few years ago and it is great!

Allison said...

Good luck with the cookbooks! That's great that the girls will get such a profit from them!

I can't tell you how jealous I am about the raises! Enjoy those date nights!

Allison said...

I used way too many exclamation marks in that last comment!!! ;)

Tammi said...

We have tornadoes in Michigan too. They can be scary. Living next to the lake, we also have water spouts. Not often, but there was one last summer and they are neat to watch...as long as they don't come too close.

Congrats about the raises! That is awesome. I have never tried Redbox, but there is one in our Wal*Mart. I don't really watch movies/tv that much.

Our branch has never done a cookbook, but that would be awesome. I love cookbooks and recipes. :)