Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year...New Numbers...


That's it...it's final...our budget for 2008 is calculated and we definitly need to reevaluate our spending habits and make some cuts. I'm not complaining about our finances, we've been extremely blessed and I truly believe that we've been protected and blessed due to our tithing contributions. BUT, this is a wake up call to once again go through our finances and see that we have places where we can dramatically cut in our spending.
We have been good about a lot of things: we still live in the stone age of not having a cell phone, we're on basic cable (mainly for the internet), we don't have any debt except for our mortgage, we have eaten out maybe five times this year...really though, that just makes me more ashamed that we don't have better control of what's going out.

For 2009 we have a New Year and new goals! I am setting a goal for 2009 to sharply cut our spending. With Jesse's contract with Lilly running out in August, our future is a bit uncertain when it comes to employment and with the status of the economy I think it's prudent to be a little more urgent with our savings goals for this year. If I find any great money saving tips, I'll definitly be keeping you all posted...I'm all about cutting costs whenever possible.

4 comments:

Kara said...

It's good to have a plan especially in this economy - good for you for being so wise with spending! :)

Tammi said...

It's good that you evaluate your budget through the year. I'm impressed that you have a plan to save. I need to start saving, but it something always comes up. :) I agree with Kara. It's good to be frugal with money...especially when we don't know where the economy is heading!

tessa said...

Let me know what you come up with. Sounds like you've done the obvious ones. I'm interested to hear what's next.

Cat said...

I just found you! :) I'm always interested in learning new budgeting tips. I hope you are your family are doing well. The kids are so grown up! I can still picture them as babies during Sacrament Meeting. :)
-Cathy